– Getting Somalia Wrong? Faith War and Hope in a Shattered State (African Arguments) by Mary Jane Harper
– Desert Dawn by Waris Dirie
– Poor Numbers: How Are we Misled by African Development Statistics and what we can do about it (Cornell Studies in Political Economy) by Morten Jerven
– Dr J: The Autobiography by Julius Earving
– Whatever You Do, Don’t Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide by Peter Allison
– Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity and Poverty by Daron Acemoglu
– The World Until Yesterday: What Can we Learn from Traditional Societies? by Jared Diamond
– 40 Chances: Finding Hope in a Hungry World by Howard G. Buffett
Sustaining African growth
The Economist explains – Why Africa is becoming less dependent on commodities
Africa – A brightening continent (Solar is giving hundreds of millions of Africans access to electricity for the first time)
The rise of Africapitalism – Entrepreneurs will transform Africa, says Tony Elumelu, chairman, Heirs Holdings, and founder, the Tony Elumelu Foundation
Holding Back the Sahara – Senegal Helps Plant a Great Green Wall to Fend Off the Desert
Kenya, Nigeria, and Africa’s New Hope for Growth
“2014 East Africa Private Equity Confidence Survey: Clarity and Distinction,” Deloitte, March 2014.
“EY’s Attractiveness Survey: Africa 2014,” EY, 2014.
“The African Consumer and Retail,” KPMG, 2014.
“Fast-Moving Consumer Goods in Africa,” KPMG, 2014.
Ricardo Soares De Oliveira, “Avoiding Africa’s Oil Curse,” Foreign Affairs, April 16, 2014.
Reid Standish, “Thanks to Urbanization, Tomorrow’s Megalopolises Will Be in Africa and Asia,” Foreign Policy, July 11, 2014.
Yun Sun, “Africa in China’s Foreign Policy,” Brookings Institution, April 2014.
The world can’t hide from pandemics – By Lawrence Summers November 9, 2014 – Washington Post